I'm Three

I'm Three

Hebrews 11:1

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." Hebrews 11:1

Thursday, March 24, 2011

DAY OF LIFE 76

SURGERY DAY!!

I was scheduled to go down around 10 am, but they were running a little behind..I was also what they call an "ADD ON."

It takes a lot to prepare a baby for surgery.  There are many people involved and lots of "consents" that have to be signed.

Both my mommy AND daddy were here and they were just so thankful that I was getting help. 

My parents met the anesthesiologist and his team of people that would be in the operating room with me.  They also met the ENT (Ear, Nose & Throat) doctor and resident because they were going to do a rigid bronchoscopy (http://www.webmd.com/lung/bronchoscopy-16978) after I was sedated and before they started to operate.

They needed to "see" why I made a "squeaky toy" noise when I breathe. They had been "pre-warned" that I was formed with a very small airway, so they were interested to see down there.  They also told my parents that that "squeaky toy" sound was probably extra skin just flopping around and they would clip it out so I could breath better.

The surgeon called my parents from the operating room and said that my "protruded" belly button was "actually" CORD TISSUE (not a hernia as they originally thought that would eventually go away over time) and they were going to cut this "off" while they were in here.

My parents were hoping that they could do this surgery "laprascopically" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laparoscopic_surgery) so I wouldn't be "too" cut up (especially since they were whacking off my belly button too.)

Well..I came through JUST GREAT!! 

The ENT discovered that I "didn't" have ANY floppy skin in my airway.  It was ALL severe "tissue damage" from all of the acid burns.  They said it would take some time to get all that swelling down and they didn't think there was any "permanent" tissue damage.  My voice is really soft because of all this tissue damage, so it will just take "time" to heal up.

The surgeon told my parents he WAS able to do the surgery laprascopically with 5 small incisions.  My g-tube went in just great too.

I was on a breathing machine and I was sleeping hard when I came out of surgery and THE BEST rest I have ever had in MY LIFE!!

I have many people praying for me and I appreciate it!!

My parents went to a "class" to teach them how to care for my new g-tube AND how to feed me through it.  This is pretty "new" for them, but my daddy had it in a "snap" (my mommy wants to take the class "again" though.)

This is a great way to spend a Friday night date, huh?  :-)
What is a Nissen Fundoplication?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissen_fundoplication

What is a G-Tube?

http://surgery.med.umich.edu/pediatric/clinical/physician_content/procedures/gastronomy_tube.shtml

1 comment: